Summer is the season of campfires, water balloons, and sunshine! Most of us look forward to (or live for) this time of year. But for the youth in Love146’s Survivor Care, summer can also be a challenging, and even dangerous time.
Empty, unstructured days can be hard for many of us – but that’s especially true for teens processing trauma. School break means that many children won’t have access to the resources they get during the school year – resources like free breakfast and lunch, a nurse, coaches, and counselors. Without these services, children are more vulnerable to predators who can exploit their needs.
Traffickers know that there is less adult supervision during the summertime and they prey on children’s vulnerabilities. But your support can be a game-changer.
Summer also brings great opportunities for children in our care. As summer break begins, your support is crucial for children. Your donation to Love146…
• Funds the Survivor Care Program where social workers are able to connect with youth, watch out for them, and be trusted adults they can turn to for support.
• Offers resources to help meet youth’s basic needs such as food, clothing, etc.
• Engages youth in creative activities that will further their healing, and show them ways to have fun without being in risky situations.
• Helps youth who are old enough, to find summer work that builds career skills and doesn’t exploit them.
• Supports survivors through the anxieties that come up in the empty space of summer, whether it’s about past trauma or about returning to school next year.
Summer should be a time for thriving, not exploitation – and it’s your donation that makes it possible for us to be here for children impacted by trafficking.
Give today to keep kids safe this summer:
Are you or someone you know in need of urgent help? Call the US National Trafficking Hotline: 1-888-3737-888